About Trips Top 10 Lists References Recent Changes Email Me
Sightings arranged by: Taxonomy Location Date Scientific Name
Ptyas fusca — White-bellied Rat Snake
Also known as:
Brown Rat Snake
My friend Kurt "Orion" G saw this snake sleeping high in a tree at night. As you can see, it was impossible to get a decent photo in the snake's original position. In fact, we couldn't even tell for sure what species it was. After a few minutes of futzing that involved a very long stick and much stretching, we got the snake down to the ground and then onto a low branch for some better pictures.
The very large eyes are a clue that this is a diurnal species that relies on excellent vision to track down its prey.
My Travelogues and Trip Lists page includes a complete list of the herps I saw in the wild on this trip to Malaysia, as well as a travelogue of the trip.
- Ptyas fusca account on The Reptile Database
- Ptyas fusca account on Ecology Asia
- Ptyas fusca account on Amphibians & Reptiles of Peninsular Malaysia
- Cox, M. J., van Dijk, P. P., Nabhitabhata, J., Thirakhupt, K. 1998. A Photographic Guide to Snakes and Other Reptiles of Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand
- Das, I. 2010. A Field Guide to the Reptiles of South-east Asia
- Das, I. 2012. A Naturalist's Guide to the Snakes of South-east Asia
- Stuebing, R. B., Inger, R. F., Lardner, B. 2014. A Field Guide to the Snakes of Borneo, Second Edition