Phrynoidis asper — River Toad
Also known as:
Asian Giant Toad, Rough Toad
These huge, powerful toads are found in and near large fast-flowing streams and rivers. The first one above is just a li'l baby, as you can see by the fact that it's perched on a leaf. No leaf in the forest would hold the monstrously large and fat toad in the second photo.
On the next night, in the same spot, I just saw one more little one.
I kept hoping to see the even larger Giant River Toad (Phrynoidis juxtasper) in Borneo, but I just continued to see measly young River Toads. You can tell them apart by the shape of their parotid glands, in case you were wondering.
- Phrynoidis aspera account on AmphibiaWeb
- Phrynoidis asper account on Frogs of Borneo
- Phrynoidis aspera account on Ecology Asia
- Phrynoidis asper account on Amphibians & Reptiles of Peninsular Malaysia
- Wahab, T. B., Das, I., Min, P. Y., Haas, A. 2014. A Photographic Guide to Frogs of Kubah National Park