Coluber lateralis — Striped Racer
Also known as:
Subspecies I've seen:
Coluber lateralis euryxanthus — Alameda Striped Racer
The Alameda Striped Racer has a very limited range in the east San Francisco bay area, and would thus be a prize to find even if it weren't beautiful. This one was found by Andy O'Connor and Chris MacDonald who were visiting northern and central California for a few days in search of such things.
Coluber lateralis lateralis — California Striped Racer
My friend Fred Harer and I spotted this very young California Striped Racer as it slithered towards cover under a small plant on the hillside along the hiking trail. It was probably hunting for the many Side-blotched Lizards that we saw skittering about nearby. These snakes are extremely fast, but we managed to get this little guy to calm down enough to pose for a few pictures.
Here's another cooperatively posing young striped racer. This one lacks the strong orange/red tint visible in the previous photos.
James Maughn and I came across this handsome fellow while we were out looking for Santa Cruzian snakes. I love the alert hunting posture of this species.
- Bartlett, R. D., Tennant, A. 2000. Snakes of North America, Western Region
- Basey, H. E. 1976. Discovering Sierra Reptiles and Amphibians
- Behler, J. L., King, F. W. 1979. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles & Amphibians
- Brown, P. R. 1997. A Field Guide to Snakes of California
- Crother, B. I. (ed.) 2017. Scientific and Standard English Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, with Comments Regarding Confidence in Our Understanding, Eighth Edition
- Henson, P., Usner, D. J. 1993. The Natural History of Big Sur
- Miller, A. H., Stebbins, R. C. 1973. The Lives of Desert Animals in Joshua Tree National Monument
- Schoenherr, A. A. 1992. A Natural History of California
- Shedd, J. D. 2005. Amphibians and Reptiles of Bidwell Park
- Smith, H. M., Brodie, E. D. Jr. 1982. Reptiles of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
- Stebbins, R. C. 2003. Peterson Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians, Third Edition