About Trips Top 10 Lists References Recent Changes Email Me
Sightings arranged by: Taxonomy Location Date Scientific Name
Lophosaurus spinipes — Southern Angle-headed Dragon
This species was formerly placed in the genus Hypsilurus.
These tree-hugging lizards are close relatives of tropical Queensland's Boyd's Forest Dragon. They were one of the species I most wanted to see in Lamington National Park, but I hadn't had any luck on the first two days of our visit. Finally, on our last full day in Australia, we came across this one trying to conceal itself on a sapling. It was drippily raining all morning and I didn't dare pull out my camera equipment, but I got a few shots in with my wife's digital Elph.
Here is a complete list of the reptiles and frogs I saw on this trip to Australia.
- Lophosaurus spinipes account on The Reptile Database
- Cogger, H. G. 2014. Reptiles & Amphibians of Australia, Seventh Edition
- Hoser, R. T. 1989. Australian Reptiles & Frogs
- Swan, G. 1995. A Photographic Guide to Snakes & Other Reptiles of Australia
- Wilson, S. K., Knowles, D. 1988. Australia's Reptiles: A Photographic Reference to the Terrestrial Reptiles of Australia