Ahaetulla prasina — Oriental Whip Snake
Also known as:
Oriental Vine Snake, Asian Vine Snake, Boie’s Whip Snake, Gunther’s Whip Snake, Jade Vine Snake, Green Vine Snake
Subspecies I've seen:
A. p. prasina
Oriental Whip Snake
Ahaetulla prasina prasina — Oriental Whip Snake
This beautiful Oriental Whip Snake made itself known by plopping onto the ground directly in front of me as I attempted to photograph some tiny frogs. I'm guessing I must have brushed against the vegetation to which it had been clinging, causing it to release its grip in an attempt to escape a potentially fearsome predator. Why hello, beautiful little snake! Since it is a famously arboreal species, I put it back onto a branch before photography commenced, whereupon it chose this attractive pose.
The next night, I found this second one in the more traditional way: walking slowly through the forest and scanning the vegetation with my flashlight.
And the night after that I found three more, though only two are pictured here. The first was large and bright green and awake, showing off the upper-body strength of this species (first and second photos above). The second was smaller and yellow/gold and sound asleep. The third one was way up high, too far for a photo. I could probably have deployed a long stick to encourage it to come down and join me for a modeling session, but I felt no need to disturb its beauty rest.
- Ahaetulla prasina account on The Reptile Database
- Ahaetulla prasina account on Ecology Asia
- Ahaetulla prasina account on Amphibians & Reptiles of Peninsular Malaysia
- Cox, M. J., van Dijk, P. P., Nabhitabhata, J., Thirakhupt, K. 1998. A Photographic Guide to Snakes and Other Reptiles of Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand
- Das, I. 2010. A Field Guide to the Reptiles of South-east Asia
- Das, I. 2012. A Naturalist's Guide to the Snakes of South-east Asia
- Das, I. 2002. An Introduction to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Tropical Asia
- Manthey, U., Grossmann, W. 1997. Amphibien & Reptilien Südostasiens
- Stuebing, R. B., Inger, R. F., Lardner, B. 2014. A Field Guide to the Snakes of Borneo, Second Edition