Anolis humilis — Ground Anole
Also known as:
This small anole was on a downed branch a few yards from the same stream where I found Stream Anoles. I am not certain of the identification, but it matches the description for Anolis humilis given in the excellent guide to Monteverde area herps. Anole expert Axel Fläschendräger thought my identification was reasonable, though not certain.
Some authorities put most of the Central and South American anole species (as opposed to the U.S./Caribbean ones) into the genus Norops. This might become the standard soon, but for now there are still many authorities using "Anolis".
Mario Urriola of the El Valle de Antón Serpentario identified this small anole as Anolis humilis, and as a male due to the broadened tail base.
- Beletsky, L. 1998. Costa Rica: The Ecotraveller's Wildlife Guide
- Hayes, M. P., Pounds, J. A., Timmerman, W. W. 1989. An Annotated List and Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Monteverde, Costa Rica
- Leenders, T. 2001. A Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica
- Savage, J. M. 2002. The Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica
- Savage, J. M., Villa R., J. 1986. Introduction to the Herpetofauna of Costa Rica